I am thrilled to be hosting Elizabeth Briggs for the Meet The Newbies Event! I freaking LOVED FUTURE SHOCK! I have a Q&A to share with you today! And make sure to enter the awesome giveaway below!
Haven't heard of FUTURE SHOCK? Check it out!
Elena Martinez has hidden her eidetic memory all her life--or so she thinks. When powerful tech giant Aether Corporation selects her for a top-secret project, she can't say no. All she has to do is participate in a trip to the future to bring back data, and she'll be set for life.
Elena joins a team of four other teens with special skills, including Adam, a science prodigy with his own reason for being there. But when the time travelers arrive in the future, something goes wrong and they break the only rule they were given: do not look into their own fates.
Now they have twenty-four hours to get back to the present and find a way to stop a seemingly inevitable future from unfolding. With time running out and deadly secrets uncovered, Elena must use her eidetic memory, street smarts, and a growing trust in Adam to save her new friends and herself.
Now on to the interview!
Check out the book playlist!
Hi Elizabeth! First I want to say welcome to Two Chicks on Books! I am so happy to be hosting you for A Perfection Called Books Meet The Newbies Event! I can’t wait to read FUTURE SHOCK and I can’t wait for my readers to either!
For the readers: can you tell us a little bit about FUTURE SHOCK and the characters?
FUTURE SHOCK is about five teens with special skills who are sent to the future for twenty-four hours, but discover something terrible is going to happen to them when they get back to the present. With the clock ticking down, they have to figure out how to change their fate - if they can.
Four of the teens, including the main character Elena, are in foster care. The final one, Adam, is a genius with his own secrets. Elena has an eidetic memory, meaning she never forgets anything, which is why she was chosen for the time travel experiment despite her dark past and her temper.
Is it a standalone? If not do you have a title for book 2 yet and if so what are you working on now?
FUTURE SHOCK is part of a series, but each book has its own time travel mystery, so they all stand alone (and there are NO cliffhanger endings!). I’m working on book 2 now! It’s called Future Threat and will be out Sept 1, 2016!
Were any of the characters in the book inspired by people from your real life?
No, although tiny details about different characters were taken from real life people. For example, Adam wears glasses and does origami, and so does my husband. A lot of the details about the foster kids were inspired by kids I mentored, many of whom were in foster care or living in other difficult situations.
Who was your favorite character to write? What about your least favorite?
Elena was my favorite character to write because she doesn’t take crap from anyone! She’s very determined and resilient despite the struggles she’s faced in her past and throughout the book. Least favorite to write would be the scientists involved in the project…they’re shady!
What is your favorite passage/scene in FUTURE SHOCK?
Probably the scene in the rain when Elena and Adam open up to each other and finally kiss!
What kind of research did you have to do for the story?
I did a lot of research on the effects of foster care, on what it would be like to have an eidetic memory, and on what the near-future would be like in terms of technology. My favorite part was learning about self-driving cars and how they are already legal in some places!
What are you reading right now? Or what do you have on your TBR that you’re dying to read?
I’m reading THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US by Emily Skrutskie – it’s so good!
Who is your ultimate Book Boyfriend?
Tarver from These Broken Stars
What inspired you to write YA?
I love reading YA, so it seemed natural for me to write it – plus my voice and ideas just seem to be a good fit for it.
Lightening Round Questions
If you were to be sorted by the Sorting Hat, which Hogwarts House would you be sorted into?
Twitter or Facebook?
Favorite TV show?
Jessica Jones ;)
Sweet or Salty?
Song you can’t get enough of right now?
“Thousand Eyes” by Of Monsters And Men
Upcoming Movie you’re most looking forward to?
The Ghostbusters reboot!
Thanks so much Elizabeth for answering my questions!
Check out the book playlist!
Author Most Likely To Cosplay At A Comic Book Convention
First Day of School: April 1, 2016
Homeroom: Albert Whitman & co
Extracurricular Activities: Fangirling, dog rescue, guitar, video games, mentoring teens
Favorite Class: Advanced Lightsaber Training
Favorite Quote/Motto: "I'll stop wearing black when they invent a darker color."
Author: Elizabeth Briggs
Elizabeth Briggs is a full-time geek who writes books for teens and adults. She graduated from UCLA with a degree in Sociology, currently mentors teens in writing, and volunteers with a dog rescue group. She's the author of the new adult Chasing The Dream series and the upcoming young adult novel Future Shock. Elizabeth lives in Los Angeles with her husband and a pack of fluffy dogs. You can connect with her online at:www.elizabethbriggs.net
- Rachel - Scarlett Epstein Hates It Here by Anna Breslaw - f
- Danielle - Save Me, Kurt Cobain by Jenny Manzer
- Shannon - Crossing The Line by Meghan Rogers
- Alyssa - These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker & Kelly Zekas
- Rachel - A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
- Nori - Love, Lies & Spies by Cindy Anstey
- Sarah - Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton
- Jess - The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M Parker - f
- Rachel - Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch
- Eileen - My Kind of Crazy by Robin Reul
- Jessica - Beyond The Red by Ava Jae
- Crystal - A Fierce and Subtle Poison by Samantha Mabry
- Rachel - The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter
- Jaime - Future Shock by Elizabeth Briggs
- Nori - Emerge by Tobie Easton - f
- Crystal - Stone Field by Christy Lenzi
- Shannon - The Abyss Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie
- Alyssa - Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan
- Rachel - Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin
- Shannon - After the Woods by Kim Savage
- Jaime - Where Futures End by Parker Peevyhouse
- Lisa - Summer of Supernovas by Darcy Woods - f
- Rachel - The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
- Alyssa - Arrows by Melissa Gorzelanczyk
- Eileen - Dreamology by Lucy Keating
- Aentee - Wandering Wild by Jessica Taylor
- Nori - Underwater by Marisa Reichardt
- Crystal - Into the Dim by Janet B Taylor
- Jess - This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp - f
- Lisa - Summer of Sloane by Erin L Schneider
- Jaime - The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
- Rachel - The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
- Liran - The Love That Split The World by Emily Henry --
- Nori - Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers
- Shannon - Even If The Sky Falls by Mia Garcia
- Rachel - Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie - f
- Jessica - Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira
- Lisa - The Year We Fell Apart by Emily Martin
- Shannon - The Art of Not Breathing by Sarah Alexander
- Rachel - The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos
- Kristen - Blackhearts by Nicole Castroman
- Danielle - Jerkbait by Mia Siegert
- Brittany - Please Don't Tell by Laura Tims - f
- Rachel - The Reader by Traci Chee
- Lisa - 26 Kisses by Anna Michels
- Rachel - Frannie and Tru by Karen Hattrup
- Alise - Enter Title Here by Rahul Kanakia
- Rachel - The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner
- Lisa - The Way I Used To Be by Amber Smith
- Rachel - Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake - f
- Liran - Firsts by Laurie E. Flynn
- Rachel - Kill The Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky
- Danielle - Liars and Losers Like Us by Ami Allen-Vath
- Jaime - Roses and Rot by Kat Howard
- Kristen - The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Heilig
- Rachel - The Marked Girl by Lindsey Klingele
- Eileen - Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace - f
- Rachel - Of Blood and Shadow by Kerri Maniscalco
- Aentee - Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto
- Rachel - Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
- Liran - All The Feels by Danika Stone
- Shannon - How It Ends by Catherine Lo
- Andye - Fear My Mortality by Everly Frost send info
- Empty f
- Alise - The Killer in Me by Margot Harrison
- Sarah - Signs of You by Emily France
- Brittany - The Way Back To You by Michelle Andreani
- Rachel - How To Hang A Witch by Adriana Mather
- Sarah - SLIP by Kara Bietz
- Danielle - Timekeeper by Tara Sim
- Andye - Genesis Girl by Jennifer Bardsley - f
- Rachel - Caraval by Stephanie Garber
- Alyssa - Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst
- Jaime - Fear The Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh
- Alise - Ripple by Heather Smith Meloche
- Rachel - Mirror in the Sky by Aditi Khorana
- Nori - Unscripted Joss Byrd by Lygia Day Penaflor send info
- Rachel - Girls in the Moon by Janet McNally - f
- Kristen - Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones
- Shannon - Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
- Danielle - Phantom Limbs by Paula Garner
- Rachel - The Cat King of Havana by Tom Crosshill
- Andye - Bound By Blood and Sand by Becky Allen
- Rachel - Ever The Hunted by Erin Summerill
- Shannon - Gemini by Sonya Mukherjee - f
- Danielle - Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow
- Jess - The Weight of Zero by Karen Fortunati
- Rachel - Flashfall by Jenny Moyer
- Nori - A Song to Take the World Part by Zan Romanoff
- Alise - A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess