I am so excited to be hosting a spot on blog tour for REVENGE AND THE WILD by Michelle Modesto. I freaking loved this book if you haven't read my review go HERE to check it out! I have Michelle's favorite scenes to share with you today as well as a little bit about her research since she's a local author and I love to know what research they did for our area! And make sure to enter the giveaway!
Haven't heard of REVENGE AND THE WILD? Check it out!
The two-bit town of Rogue City is a lawless place, full of dark magic and saloon brawls, monsters and six-shooters. But it’s perfect for seventeen-year-old Westie, the notorious adopted daughter of local inventor Nigel Butler.
Westie was only a child when she lost her arm and her family to cannibals on the wagon trail. Nine years later, Westie may seem fearsome with her foul-mouthed tough exterior and the powerful mechanical arm built for her by Nigel, but the memory of her past still haunts her. She’s determined to make the killers pay for their crimes—and there’s nothing to stop her except her own reckless ways.
But Westie’s search ceases when a wealthy family comes to town looking to invest in Nigel’s latest invention, a machine that can harvest magic from gold—which Rogue City desperately needs as the magic wards that surround the city start to fail. There’s only one problem: the investors look exactly like the family who murdered Westie’s kin. With the help of Nigel’s handsome but scarred young assistant, Alistair, Westie sets out to prove their guilt. But if she’s not careful, her desire for revenge could cost her the family she has now.
This thrilling novel is a remarkable tale of danger and discovery, from debut author Michelle Modesto.
Now on to the post!
Being a local author how much research did you have to do about Sacramento and outlying areas for THE REVENGE AND THE WILD?
Growing up in Northern California, we went on a lot of field trips to the capital. The history of the area was ground into my head from an early age. Where I live there are still old mines—most of them covered, but I always managed to find my way in. My siblings and I used to explore them and go gold panning. Before I even started researching for the book, I already had a clear vision of this wild west world. To brush up on the lay of the land I poured through pictures of the towns that are now under Shasta Lake. Though R&TW is a fantasy, I wanted to make sure it had the subtle details to make the world feel real, such as the flooding and the flora and fauna.
Favorite 5 scenes and why?
1. The scene with Olive at the manzanita tree. There’s something really terrifying about creepy children. They are the epitome of innocence, so when children do evil things I find it interesting and shocking. It was a really fun scene to write.
2. The sexy scenes. They are so hard for me to write. I get shy and embarrassed so they were a huge challenge, which is why they’re one of my favorites. Any time you push yourself as a writer, going places you aren’t necessarily comfortable with, I think it makes you better.
3. The shootout with the outlaws. Blood and guts. Horror was my number one love as a reader growing up and it still makes me giddy to see in movies and read in books. In real life it’s a whole different story. The sight of real blood makes me dizzy.
4. The twist. I love a twist.
5. The ending. There’s a huge relief at the end of writing a novel. While it only took me a couple months to write the first draft, it took years to edit. After a while it started to feel like it would never end. It can be daunting, and frustrating, and it zaps the creativity right out of you. Once you reach the end it’s like the world lifting off your shoulders.
Michelle Modesto is a writer, hockey fanatic, lover of most art forms, terrible cook and her social skills aren't that great either. Her debut YA novel, REVENGE AND THE WILD comes out from Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins, early 2016. She lives in Northern California in a double-wide mobile asylum with two mastiffs who don't listen to her and two teenagers who also don't listen to her.
10 winners will receive a finished copy of REVENGE AND THE WILD, US Only.
1/25/2016- IceyBooks- Interview
1/26/2016- Book Briefs- Review
1/27/2016- Two Chicks on Books- Guest Post
1/28/2016- Novel Novice- Review
1/29/2016- Good Choice Reading- Interview
2/1/2016- Brooke-Reports- Review
2/2/2016- The Irish Banana Review- Guest Post
2/3/2016- Bookish Lifestyle- Review + Interview
2/4/2016- Supernatural Snark- Interview
2/5/2016- Ex Libris- Review