Hi Everyone! Today we are hosting Lissa Price author of Starters. Starters is Lissa’s debut novel.
Jaime and I (Patricia) both met Lissa at Veronica Rossi’s Launch for Under the Never Sky here in Northern California, which was way cool. I certainly got excited about Starters then. Lissa was giving out some awesome business cards with the cover of Starters on it which definitely made me want to know more. So when I asked Lissa about the book and she told me what it was about I got even more excited. I thought the premise of the story sounded pretty fantastic and entirely creepy. Lol. My kind of book!
Lissa has written a guest post for us about Starters, what it’s about and even some fun trivia you may not know. So without further delay here it is…
What do you know about Starters? By Lissa Price
Maybe you know the basic premise of Starters, how it is set in a future Los Angeles where desperate teens rent out their bodies to seniors so they can enjoy being young again temporarily. But one senior plans to do more than party, she plans to murder someone.
It’s told from 16 year old Callie’s point of view, a regular, middle-class girl who has been forced to live off the streets with her sickly young brother when her parents, like most middles, died because they weren’t vaccinated against the deadly spores. Her only way out is to head to Prime Destinations where they will rent out her body to a wealthy senior.
And then things go wrong. Lies. Secrets. Enders in Starter’s bodies. A boy named Blake, a boy named Michael. Who can she trust enough to tell the truth?
Does she even know the truth?
And here’s a few things you probably don’t know:
1. There is a Starters glossary on Amazon.
2. The concept was kept under wraps for the first eight months after it was sold.
3. There are two e-shorts set in the world of Starters – the first one is called “Portrait of a Starter,” the second “Portrait of a Marshal” – available in all e-formats.
4. There is a free Starters game app available via www.StartersBooks.com where you can apply to rent out your body.
5. The video trailer for the book is a tight 30 seconds.
6. In the U.K., you can point your smartphone to the cover and see that video trailer.
7. The name Michael was used because I have a good friend by that name.
8. The original title of the manuscript was “The Body Bank.”
9. My agent thought that sounded like dead bodies. Not good.
10. I got the idea for the book at Costco.
And if you want to meet Lissa in person, she will be speaking at the SCBWI Annual Conference in Century City this Friday and Saturday. There will also be a signing party on Sunday. For all dates and times for the events, check out the SCBWI website HERE.
Also Lissa has offered to give away a signed and personalized copy of Starters, and we here at Two Chicks will also be giving away a HC copy of Starters as well as an ARC. So that’s three winners!! Good Luck and enter below…
Need to know Giveaway Deets:
- U.S. Only (sorry)
- Must be at least 13 years old
- Three winners (First winner will get a signed & personalized HC of Starters; Second winner will get HC copy of Starters; Third winner will get an ARC of starters)
- One entry per household
- Ends on Aug 9, 2012 at 12:01 am
Check out the rest of the Authors Are Rockstars Tour HERE We've already had two stops: Jus Accardo here on Two Chicks and Karsten Knight at Fiktshun!!!